Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Looking back....

I just spent the last half hour looking through some of my old notes. The font changes, the tone changes, the people I hung out with, the places I have gone and visited... everything since freshman year has changed. I am not that same quirky geeky girl I was at 14. I was actually quiet at 14... now you cannot usually shut me up if you know me well enough! :)
Has anyone ever looked at how different your life was and the things that helped define you. The people you meet that you let see you vulnerable and the places you go that you let become part of your personality and your way of life. Some place that could be just a place holds some value in your life. Something that actually means something. Maybe you got your first kiss that day. I can still remember the date and place where I got my first kiss. I was 14 years old. I was just a wee little thing. That same boy is going to be the one I marry. Time flies. Life doesn't slow down for anyone. You only get to live on this earth once. You need to leave your mark on it.
I remember that first day of freshman year. How I got lost in that "giant" school building. How I got placed by a red head in Health class taught by a quirky teacher. I remember how cool it was to pass notes and not get caught. How dances were such a big deal and how much heartbreak hurts. I learned that love always deserves second chances and that sometimes all you need is a little faith. I gained friends and I lost touch with some. I became a little more than just a wallflower. I lost someone important for the 2nd time. I learned a little about myself.
I remember that summer when I worked at Pine Ridge. I learned how work wasn't just fun and games. I learned to trust God through the good stuff and the stuff that you didn't understand why it happenedl. He and I have had a rocky relationship sometimes but I know that in the end He will always provide as long as I trust in him. I met amazing people and watched people come to Christ. I learned what a deep faith meant and had some crazy memories.
Then came sophmore year. I met new people, lost touch with people. I went on road trips, made mistakes, lost myself and slowly learned how to find her again. I tried something new, I kept trying to succeed. Found something I was good at. Learned that Loving someone wasn't easy and it required work, but if you really loved someone that it was worth it. Cried a lot of tears, laughed a lot of laughs and fell a lot along the way.
Junior year came. Lots of parties, lots of drama, lots of crazy days and a lot of love. Lost someone who meant the world to me. Lost myself a little more. Found her a little more. Learned what it was like to love someone and only want what is best for them. Learned that life is made of many options. Found out who my true friends were. Gave up things that caused too much pain. Learned to love to express myself. Learned I didn't care what others thought of me. Became a future wife. Learned that sometimes people just won't understand.
I have gotten in one accident, I have loved one boy with my whole heart and soul and mind, I have written many poems, became friends with many people, lost friends, Traveled with friends, learned a taste of freedom and learned what I want out of life. As I look back at all of the things that I could have done and what might have beens I learn that even if I could do it over again I wouldn't. I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have the experiences that I've had. I learned how to bowl over a hundred and how to do a whole band routine without falling on my face. I learned how to do laundry and that furniture is expensive. I learned that college applications aren't easy but nothing in life ever is. People who are meant to be your friends will be there through all of your stages of life and those who were there for just stages were still placed there for a reason.
I love those who have created such an impact in my life. From teachers who never gave up on me, to small group leaders who helped encourage me and never let me stray too far from God, to the friends who knew just what I needed and those who were there when I couldn't find myself. I love the way that God has placed every person in my life today. And even though senior year is fastly approaching (less than three weeks!) I know I am ready. This next year is going to be crazy. With wedding plans, school work, College plans, financial aid stuff, and everything else in between.
I know how much I have grown since that 14 year old girl who walked into her first day at rockford. Now that young girl is a young adult ready to face the world around her and knows who she is and what she wants out of her life. And even if she didn't thats okay too because every day is a new day and can always be the beginning of the rest of your life :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment